Welcome to the Hyperbaric Medicine Services Department
Capital Regional Medical Center's Hyperbaric Medicine Services Department is home to the region's only multi-place hyperbaric oxygen chamber. This allows for a high level of safety and ability to treat multiple patients' severe wounds in a controlled environment. Our staff will accompany the most medically compromised patients into the chamber for their treatment.
What is Hyperbaric Oxygen Therapy?
Hyperbaric oxygen therapy is the infusion of 100 percent pure oxygen into a patient's blood stream while in a pressured chamber or room. The air in the chamber is pressurized at two and a half times greater than the normal atmosphere. This enables blood to carry large amounts of oxygen to organs and tissues in the body that are affected by infection or disease. Hyperbaric oxygen therapy is considered one of the most effective ways to help the body repair itself.
Capital Regional is the only facility in the area with multi-chamber available for patients. Our multi-place chamber allows us to provide treatment for multiple patients at a time, even if one needs a stretcher. Patients are always accompanied by a trained medical professional. They can choose to rest, watch television, read a book or even play a game of cards while receiving treatment.
What Conditions Do You Treat?
There are many reasons that our patients seek the services offered at Hyperbaric Medicine Services at Capital Regional Medical Center.
Types of diagnoses we treat:
- Air or Gas Embolism
- Carbon Monoxide Poisoning
- Clostridial Myositis and Myonecrosis (Gas Gangrene)
- Crush injury, Compartment Syndrome, and other Acute Traumatic Ischemias
- Decompression Sickness
- Arterial Insufficiencies (Central Retinal Artery Occlusion and Enhancement of Healing in Selected Problem Wounds)
- Severe Anemia
- Intracranial Abscess
- Necrotizing Soft Tissue Infections
- Osteomyelitis (Refractory)
- Delayed Radiation Injury (Soft Tissue and Boney Necrosis)
- Compromised Grafts and Flaps
- Acute Thermal Burn Injury