Is Lap Band an Option for Me?
Like many who are interested in bariatric surgery, you are probably well aware of the successes people are having with LAP-BAND® surgery. However, before you can use the LAP-BAND® System to help you lose weight and live healthier, you need to qualify medically. This means being currently healthy enough for this minimally invasive procedure. While only a physician or surgeon can give you a complete medical evaluation, the criteria listed here should help you get started. In addition, Dr. Schwartz can provide more details regarding your specific condition during a private consultation.
The LAP-BAND® procedure may be right for you if:
- Your Body Mass Index (BMI) is at least 40, or
- Your BMI is 35 or higher with one or more obesity-related health conditions.
- You are at least 100 lbs overweight.
- You are at least 18 years old.
- Your serious weight loss attempts have had only short-term success.
- You are prepared to make major changes in your eating habits and lifestyle.
- You do not drink alcohol in excess.
- You are not currently pregnant.
Body Mass Index
The body mass index takes into account height and weight and is not dependent on gender. Although the body mass index does not take into account percentage of body fat, many argue that it is the best measure that doesn't rely strictly on body fat.
The body mass index is calculated by dividing an individual's weight (kg)by the individual's height (meters squared). The formula is: weight (kg)/height squared (m2).
Calculate Your BMI
|Ideal BMI||19 - 24|
|Overweight||25 - 30|
|Obese||31 - 34|
|Severly Obese||35 - 39|
|Morbidly Obese||40 - 49|
|Super Obese||> 49|
In order to be considered for weight-loss surgery, the individual must weigh at least 100 pounds over their ideal body weight, according to the 1999 Metropolitan Height and Weight Tabels for Adults, or have a BMI of 40 or more. An exception may be considered for persons 80 pounds overweight, or a BMI of 35 - 40, with a severe illness, such as Diabetes.
- Services A-Z
- Bariatric Center
- Behavioral Health Center
- Breast Center
- Cancer Center
- ER - Main Campus
- ER - Gadsden Campus
- Express ER
- Family Center
- Heart and Vascular Center
- Hyperbaric Oxygen Therapy
- Orthopedic Services
- Outpatient Services
- Pediatric ER
- Physical Therapy and Rehabilitation Services
- Robotic Surgery
- Senior Care ER
- Seniors First
- Sleep Center
- Women's Health
- Wound Care Center
- Wound Care & Hyperbaric Oxygen