Unlike traditional gastric bypass surgery, LAP-BAND® – more commonly known as “banding,” utilizes minimally invasive surgical techniques to place a state-of-the-art banding device around the stomach that can be adjusted to fit your lifestyle while helping you achieve better health.
While there are other devices for banding available, Capital Regional utilizes the LAP-BAND® product exclusively. LAP-BAND® is the original FDA approved adjustable gastric banding device.
How does it work?
Without requiring stomach cutting or stapling, the LAP-BAND® system reduces your stomach capacity, restricting the amount of food you can eat at one time, and allows you to feel full quicker and longer while needing to eat less.
Why Lap Band?
LAP-BAND®has a proven track record of results that include long-term weight loss and better health when all other diets have failed. Make no mistake; LAP-BAND® isn’t a diet. It is a true lifestyle change.
- Designed for advanced performance and is the most advanced device approved by the FDA.
- A third-generation device that was developed in collaboration with leading bariatric surgeons and was built on the proven performance of the LAP-BAND® System.
- Specially designed with the proprietary OMNIFORM® technology — with pre-curved sections (or pillows) that conform to fit your body better, minimizing leaks due to creases or folds. This offers a 360° inflation area for an even distribution of pressure, more secure placement and complete coverage of stomach anatomy. The result is a great fit right from the start.
- Available in two sizes to allow your surgeon to choose the best option for you.
Natosha Faul says having bariatric surgery at Capital Regional Medical Center is the best decision she’s ever made. The 37-year-old Tallahassee resident had struggled with her weight most of her life. “I started putting on weight in the seventh or eighth grade, and by the time I was a senior, I had developed diabetes and thyroid problems,” she says.
Throughout the years, Natosha had tried many different weight loss programs with no long-term success. But when she heard radio commercials about the LAP BAND procedure performed by Roy Schwartz, M.D., at Capital Regional Medical Center, she decided to find out more. LAP BAND is a minimally invasive surgical technique where a state-of-the-art banding device is placed around the stomach to reduce stomach capacity and restrict the amount of food you can eat, allowing you to feel full, longer while needing to eat less.
Natosha attended an informational seminar at Capital Regional Medical Center where she learned the requirements to be eligible for the procedure. Working with Dr. Hart and the center’s bariatric team, she was approved for the procedure within two months. Her LAP BAND procedure took place on Dec. 15, 2010. Since then, Natosha has lost 126 pounds. In addition to losing all that weight and feeling better, her diabetes has improved dramatically. “I’ve been on an insulin pump for 13 years, and before the surgery, I would use six vials of insulin a month. Now, I am down to one vial a month.”
Natosha has changed her eating habits since her surgery and her diet now consists mainly of lean proteins like chicken, turkey and fish, with just a few carbohydrates, and of course much smaller portions. “You’ve got to be in the right mindset that LAP BAND surgery is not the cure-all for losing weight. It’s a tool you are given to assist with your weight loss. You have to realize that in order to be successful,” Natosha says. “But I am so glad I did it. If I had it to do over again, I wouldn’t change a thing.”
- Services A-Z
- Bariatric Center
- Behavioral Health Center
- Breast Center
- Cancer Center
- ER - Main Campus
- ER - Gadsden Campus
- Express ER
- Family Center
- Heart and Vascular Center
- Hyperbaric Oxygen Therapy
- Orthopedic Services
- Outpatient Services
- Pediatric ER
- Physical Therapy and Rehabilitation Services
- Robotic Surgery
- Senior Care ER
- Seniors First
- Sleep Center
- Women's Health
- Wound Care Center
- Wound Care & Hyperbaric Oxygen